In Clarke County, around 19% of adults do not have proper health insurance coverage. This is the same as Georgia's state average. Among its peers, Oglethorpe County has the highest percentage of uninsured adults, while Oconee County has the lowest, not just in the region, but across Georgia, as well.
While Oconee County’s rate is the lowest in the entire state, the highest rate of uninsured adults in Georgia is observed in Colquitt County (30%).
Nearly 22% of adults in Clarke County have health problems. It can be due to the fact that almost 30% of Clarke County residents are physically inactive. About 36% of adult residents in Clarke County are reported to be obese (with a BMI of 30 or more), which is higher than Georgia’s 33% average. This figure is also the highest among its adjacent neighbors. Oconee County has the lowest adult obesity rate at 28%.
In 2022, 17,923 residents in Clarke County were enrolled in Medicare, with the following utilization:
|CLARKE COUNTY - MEDICARE||Usage|
|Original Medicare Part A and Part B||46%|
|Medicare Advantage and Other Health Plan Part A and Part B Beneficiaries||47%|
|Medicare Part D (Medigap)||68%|
|Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug Plan||97%|
At least 11 health insurance companies provide affordable and frequently subsidized ACA health insurance in Clarke County, on and off the federally-operated Georgia health insurance marketplace. In 2022, more than 8,000 Clarke County residents were enrolled in private individual-market ACA plans.
The roads of Clarke County are home to about 103,045 private and commercial vehicles. This is equivalent to approximately 1.2% of vehicles registered in the state of Georgia.
3 out of 4 adult Clarke County residents commute to work by driving on their own. Around 18% of them spend over 30 minutes behind the wheel each way.
In Clarke County, the rate of motor vehicle fatalities statistically occurs at 9 per 100,000 vehicles on the road, or about 9 fatal crashes annually.
In 2021, 5,011 crashes were reported in Clarke County, according to data from the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT). These crashes resulted in 1,733 injuries and 24 fatalities. On the other hand, 41 motorcycle crashes were recorded that same year that led to 33 injuries. 20% of deaths were attributed to alcohol-impaired driving.
Clarke County’s estimated (2022) 56,137 dwelling units are mostly rental units (59%), and the remaining homes are owner-occupied (41%). This kind of distribution is in contrast to what can be observed across all its immediate neighbors and the entire state where most homes are occupied by owners. In Georgia, 64% of housing properties have their owners as their occupants. Barrow County and Oglethorpe County both have the second-highest proportion of rental housing properties, while Oconee County has the highest figure for owner-occupied homes.
Across the state, the highest homeownership rate is observed in Harris County (89%). On the other hand, Chattahoochee County has the highest rental rate (76%).
Over 25% of homes in Clarke County have housing problems, which include overcrowding, poor plumbing, and kitchen-related issues. In nearly 24% of homes, residents spend more than half of their income to pay for housing. These two figures are the highest in the state of Georgia.
|COUNTY||Average Life Expectancy|
At around 79 years, the average life expectancy of residents of Clarke County is higher than the 77-year state average in Georgia. Among its neighbors, Clarke County’s figure ranks the second-highest, only next to Oconee County. The residents of Barrow County and Jackson County have the shortest average life expectancy.
Across Georgia, Forsyth County has the longest life expectancy, which is about 82.3 years. Meanwhile, the shortest life expectancy is seen in Miller County (69.5 years).
In 2022, there were approximately 15,000 seniors (65 and older) residing in Clarke County.
On average, Clarke County residents spend around $6,300 on funeral expenses. This is $400 higher than the state average of $5,900. Clarke County’s average funeral spending is the second-highest among its peers. The most expensive funeral expenses among the neighbors are observed in Jackson County ($6,400), while the most affordable funerals are typically held in Madison County and Oconee County ($5,800).
In the entire state of Georgia, residents of Jones County spend the most on funerals (they average $11,700). On the other hand, Jefferson County residents have the most affordable funerals (around $4,000).
Clarke County is part of the Athens metropolitan area. It is home to more than 3 thousand business establishments, which have varying commercial insurance needs. The largest job-creating sectors are:
By speaking with an insurance agent licensed to help Clarke County’s residents and businesses, expect the agent to do the following for you: