Around 18% of Douglas County’s adult population do not have proper health insurance coverage which is close to the Georgia State average of 19%. Among Douglas County’s immediate neighbors, Fulton County has the lowest rate, followed by Cobb County and Paulding County. Carroll County has the highest rate of uninsured adults in the area.
Colquitt County has the highest uninsured adult rate in the state of Georgia at nearly 30 percent, while Oconee County has the lowest rate at around 11% of the adult residents.
About 21% of adults in Douglas County report problems with health. This is partially due to the fact that almost 31% of the Douglas County population does not participate in physical exercise activities. Approximately 34% of the Douglas County adult residents are considered obese (with a BMI of 30 or more), which is higher than Georgia's 33% average. Fulton County’s 29% obesity rate is the lowest among the neighbors, followed by Cobb County at 31%.
In 2022, 21,769 Douglas County residents were enrolled in Medicare, with the following utilization:
|DOUGLAS COUNTY - MEDICARE||Usage|
|Original Medicare Part A and Part B||36%|
|Medicare Advantage and Other Health Plan Part A and Part B Beneficiaries||56%|
|Medicare Part D (Medigap)||55%|
|Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug Plan||95%|
At least 11 health insurance companies offer affordable and frequently subsidized ACA health insurance in Douglas County, on and off the federally-operated Georgia health insurance marketplace. In 2022, close to 10 thousand Douglas County residents were enrolled in private individual-market ACA plans.
An estimated 120,195 private and commercial vehicles were registered in Douglas County in 2022. This represents around 1.4% of all vehicles registered in the entire state of Georgia.
Approximately 82% of Douglas County’s adult drivers commute to work by themselves. More than half of those commutes last for over 30 minutes.
Motor vehicle fatalities in Douglas County statistically occur at a rate of 14 per 100,000 vehicles on the road which leads to an estimated number of 17 fatal crashes per year.
According to the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT), in 2021, there were 6,127 crashes in Douglas County that led to 2,568 injuries and 24 fatalities. On the other hand, 68 motorcycle crashes were recorded that same year which led to 49 injuries and 3 fatalities.
Around 11% of fatalities in Douglas County are caused by alcohol-impaired driving.
Similar to the Georgia State average, where most (64%) homes are owner-occupied, 65% out of the estimated 54,687 Douglas County’s housing properties are also inhabited by their owners, while the remaining 35% are renters. Its neighboring counties, Carroll County, Cobb County, and Paulding County are also homeowner-heavy except for Fulton County, where the homeowners and renters are almost equal to each other.
Harris County has the most homeowners with a rate of over 89% across the whole state of Georgia. Meanwhile, Chattahoochee County leads the state’s rental property market with almost 76% of its homes for rent.
In Douglas County, 16% of its dwelling units struggle with housing problems, poor plumbing, overcrowding, or kitchen problems. In 1 out of 8 homes, more than 50% of a resident’s income is spent on housing.
|COUNTY||Average Life Expectancy|
The average life expectancy for the residents of Douglas County is around 77.1 years old, which is similar to the 77-year Georgia State average. Among the neighboring counties, Cobb County has the longest life expectancy rate at 80.3 years old, while Carroll County’s 74.9-year average is the shortest within the area.
While the longest average life expectancy in Georgia is observed in Forsyth County (82.3 years old), the shortest average statewide is seen in Miller County, at 69.5 years old.
In 2022, there were over 18,000 seniors (65 and older) residing in Douglas County.
The average funeral costs in Douglas County and its neighbors have significant differences. The average funeral price in Douglas County is around $6,500, which is higher than the Georgia State average ($5,900). Compared to its neighboring counties, Cobb County has the most expensive funeral costs at an average of $8,200. This is followed by Paulding County which has an average of nearly $7,000. The most cost-effective average funeral cost is in Carroll County at $5,600 while Fulton County comes in second with an average of more than $6,100.
In the entire state of Georgia, Jones County tends to have the most expensive funerals averaging more or less $11,700, while Jefferson County’s $4,000 average is usually the most affordable.
Commercial insurance needs vary between each of the approximately 3 thousand business establishments in Douglas County, as part of the Douglasville metro area. The largest job-creating sectors are:
By speaking with an insurance agent licensed to help Douglas County’s residents and businesses, expect the agent to do the following for you: